onsdag 21. april 2010

Probably nothing

A canister of an unidentified, potentially dangerous substance is opened in Walter's lab, leaving our four friends isolated until the substance is identified. When you've said everything you have to say, maybe it's time to say the things you never thought you would...

Ships: Olivia/Peter
Spoilers: None, I think

Disclaimer: I don't own anything, I'm just borrowing Peter, Olivia, Astrid and Walter for my own (and hopefully your) amusement.

Forgive my incomplete knowledge of dangerous substances and horrid diseases, as well as the process of identifying them. I have tried to acquire as much information as possible, but alas; biology was never my subject. I wasn't really going down that road in the first place, but as always; I stray...

Three degrees of tension


There was something in the air. Something so thick you could cut it with a knife. Tension would have been a good word for it, but after two days of isolation it was too meagre a description. Four people, each in their own corner, each with their back turned to the other three. The silence was absolute, almost pressing, save the odd sniff or cough. Everything that could be said had been said at least twice, and now they all tried their best to forget each other, and where they were. A heavy rainfall had been beating against the windowpanes far up on the wall, but had died down about half an hour ago and left the four prisoners in the now unbearable silence.

There was a mark on the desk where the canister had stood, faintly traced by a small layer of the greyish dust which sparkled every so slightly in the dim light from the work-lamp. Two days ago it had exploded out of its container like a cloud of silver, settling all over the lab, including its four inhabitants. Thirty minutes later the room was hermetically sealed. Walter had insisted he could easily identify the powder on his own, but agent Broyles had refused for "safety-reasons". Now, there was nothing to do but wait.

- Corn dog!
Inevitably, it was Walter who broke the silence.
- I should very much like a corn dog. Perhaps a banana milkshake. Peter, would you be so kind as to fetch me one?
- We're not allowed to leave the lab, Walter, remember?
- We're not? Why?
- Because they haven't identified the substance yet.
- They haven't? What's taking them so long?
When Peter didn't answer, Walter just shrugged and began humming the national anthem. He cut of midway through the verse, and changed tunes to an unorthodox version of what sounded like «Fly me to the moon», eagerly conducting himself as he hummed.

Peter abruptly pushed his chair away and headed for the only other room they could visit, a small bathroom at one end of the lab.
- Where are you going, Peter? Walter inquired, but the only reply he got was the slamming of the door.

Olivia's cellphone sounded, its chirp echoing all around the lab. She answered it, her expression unchanged as she listened to the voice on the other end.
- I see. Yes. Well I guess we'll just have to.
She hung up, and Astrid looked at her.
- No news?
Olivia shook her head.
- Nothing.

Peter drew a sink-full of ice cold water, and splashed his face several times. He stared up at the dismal sight in the mirror. His eyes were bloodshot, bright red right to the pupil. His hair stood out in every direction, and he saw no point in trying to settle it. His skin itched, but he felt certain that could be construed to the hay he'd (tried) to sleep on last night, not the mysterious powder the DHS and FBI were so worried about. Had it not been for the events of the last few months, he would have discarded the powder as harmless a long time ago since none of them showed any symptoms of anything. But the things he had seen since Olivia had recruited him had taught him nothing could be discarded.

The door opened behind him.
- Walter, I don't want an audience while I'm peeing.
- Trust me, I have no desire to see it.
He turned, smiling at Olivia.
- Thought you were Walter.
She smiled back
- Yeah, I get that a lot.
She shut the door behind her, and turned to him.
- Broyles just called.
- And?
- They think they've cracked it.
- What is it?
Peter looked eager.
- They're not sure, but whatever it is, it closely resembles anthrax. Except it's some kind of unknown mutation.
She hesitated.
- What?
- They don't know what will happen. We might not get sick at all, or we might...
- Die horribly and painfully?
- Something to that effect.
- How about a cure?
- They can't give us that until they know what they're up against. It might make it worse.
Peter nodded.
- So we just hang in there?
- Yes. I haven't told Walter and Astrid, I didn't...
- There's no point in telling them yet, Peter agreed.

From the lab came Walter's muffled singing. He appeared to have changed genre to show-tunes. Olivia leaned against the wall, eyes shut tight.
- I adore your father, Peter, but one more song and I swear
Peter opened the door.
- Walter, take five!
- I don't believe I know that one.
- Then take a break.
- All right, Peter.
He closed the door, and she gave him a thankful smile.
- Sorry, I just
- Don't worry about it. I share a hotel-room with him, remember?
- Ah, but he doesn't sing with you.
- No no, you're right. The Fibonacci-sequence, night after night after night, is so much less annoying.
She laughed a little, and he smiled.
- You look tired, he said, serious again.
- I am, she admitted. -
- I didn't sleep much last night.
- Me neither, he confessed.
- Walter kept kicking me.
- He kicks in his sleep?
Peter shook his head.
- No no, he just kept kicking me.

*

- This is taking far too long.
Walter resolutely got up, and headed for the powder-covered desk.
- Walter, you're not supposed to
- Mildred, I cannot stand sitting idle while mine and my son's life hangs on someone so clearly void of competence.
- And yours and Agent Dunham's, of course, he added absentmindedly.
He started roaming a cupboard, pulling out several jars, tubes, pipets and bottles of different coloured liquid.
- Walter, I really don't think you should, Astrid started, but he waved a hand at her.
- Either you are with me, or you are against me, my dear.
She sighed, but went to help him.

*

Olivia sunk to the floor and closed her eyes. Peter joined her.
- You know, it's not half bad being stuck here, he admitted.
- The company is good, at least.
She smiled.
- That's true.
A strand of hair fell in front of her face, and Peter tucked it away behind her ear. His fingers brushed her cheek slightly, and she startled a little. He wasn't swayed. His hand continued up into her hair, and he tangled his fingers into it. With his other hand, he lifted her chin so her face was level with his.
- Olivia?
- Yes.
- In case we do die a horrible, painful death, there's something I have to do.
His breath was warm on her face.
- Yes?
- See, I'll never forgive myself, in this life or the next, if I don't kiss you now.
She smiled.
- Well, we can't have any of that.
He laughed, tangling his other hand in her hair and pulling her closer. Their lips met, eager and demanding, both of them pouring months of sexual tension into this first kiss.
Suddenly he pulled away.
- I shouldn't do this.
- Why not, she asked, catching her breath.
- I just had a cold, Peter grinned.
- You might catch it.

*

- Walter, I'm not entirely sure Agent Dunham will be to happy about this.
- I recall you speaking very warmly of a concert tomorrow, Kirsten, Walter said, stirring carefully in a dark green liquid.
- I wouldn't trust the Department of Homeland Security to take that into account in their work.
- What makes you think you can solve this any faster than them.
- I don't know that I can, he admitted, adding some of the powder to the green liquid. It changed colour and turned dark brown.
- But as long as I'm working on this too, you have twice as big a chance of making said concert.

*

Peter reached past Olivia and turned the lock in the door. His lips found hers again, and he kissed her eagerly.
- Do you always kiss with this much vengeance? she teased
- Only when I think I'm going to die, he muttered against her lips.
- Why, are you complaining?
He began to pull away, but she grabbed him and drew him close again.
- Not even a little bit.
- Funny, he mused.
- I never thought our first kiss would occur in the bathroom in my father's lab.
- Out of curiosity, where did you think it would happen? Olivia asked.
- Being that you can't leave him alone, I mean.
- I figured we'd just have a quickie on the sofa while Walter was reciting numbers in the next room.

*

- Oh, how very clever!
Walter looked spectacularly pleased with himself.
- What is it? Astrid asked, putting down the book she had been flipping through.
- I'm not sure, but this looks very much like a decoy.
- A decoy?
He grinned.
- Yes. Ingenious really. It closely resembles anthrax, but from what I can see this is completely harmless. I'm not 100% percent certain yet, but it seems you can start getting ready for... what was it? Dollar?
- 50 cent, Astrid sighed, but couldn't help but smile.
- Yes, well if I'm right you will be seeing Mr. Cent very soon, Walter smiled.

*

- What are you thinking, she muttered.
- I'm thinking I hope we don't die, Peter smiled, kissing her forehead.
- Would be an awful shame not to get to do this again.
- Peter! Agent Dunham!
Peter sighed.
- Yes, Walter.
- Are you both in there?
- Yes, we are.
- I see... Oh, are you two having sexual intercourse?
Olivia collapsed in soundless laughter, and Peter stifled a dejected moan.
- No Walter, we're not.
- Oh. Well, good. You can come out then?
- Yes, we can Walter.
- Then I suggest you do. I have something to show you.
- Can it wait a few minutes? Peter asked.
- Of course, yes. You need to get dressed.
Olivia jumped up and unlocked the door.
- We're not naked, Walter.
- I can see that very plainly, my dear.
Peter got to his feet too.
- What was it you wanted to show us, Walter?
- Huh?
- You wanted to show us something?
- I did? Oh yes, I did. Or rather, I wanted to show you what's not there.
- Walter identified the powder, Astrid shot in.
- Yes, that's right. I did. He grinned proudly
Peter looked expectantly at him.
- And?
- And what?
- What is it, Walter?
- Oh, right. Yes. Nothing, it's completely harmless.
- Walter, are you sure? Olivia asked.
- Absolutely, my dear.

Olivia's phone chirped again, interrupting the conversation. She answered it.
- Dunham. Yes. Yes. You don't say?
She shot Peter a sly smile.
- Well, thank you. They'll be very pleased to hear that.
She hung up, and looked up at the other three.
- The powder is harmless, she announced.
- We can all go.
- Bye! Astrid shouted, and disappeared before anyone had time to return it.
Olivia smiled at Walter.
- Next time Broyles doubts you, I'm sticking up for you, Walter.
- I appreciate that, my dear.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar