tirsdag 29. juni 2010

[fractions of fiction]

– I've been thinking
– Yes?
– About those rules.
He leaned past me, grabbing the calender.
– One, in particular.
– And which one would that be?
– The "never get personal" one.
– What about it?
– Well, we're getting to be pretty good friends. Is that going to be a problem?
– Not for you, I smiled.
The look on his face made me kill the smile instantly.
– That was a joke.
– I know.
He gave me a small smile, but his eyes betrayed him.
– But it still answered my question.

*

I knew I had lost. In fact, I had lost the minute our eyes locked. I couldn't say 'no' to them, and consequently I couldn't say 'no' to him. The rational part of my brain was frenzied, desperate for anything that would win me the discussion. But I found nothing. Instead, I found that another small eternity had passed while I was lost in his gaze.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar